Robert Downey Jr. Makes Superhero Entrance at 'Iron Man 3' Premiere

Robert Downey Jr.

Robert Downey Jr. has been jumping and dancing his way around the world during the "Iron Man 3" global press tour. But he saved the best for his homeland, driving up -- at a snail's pace -- to the Hollywood premiere of his latest soon-to-be blockbuster film in luxury style.

With wife Susan in the passenger seat, the 48-year-old Iron Man himself steered a bright, shiny red Audi R8 e-Tron right into the center of the action at the El Capitan Theatre on Wednesday -- where throngs of press and fans were gathered. Downey was quick to point out to Yahoo! Movies that no one was in harm's way because he was driving "0.05 miles an hour."
"If I'd started from my house I'd of had to have left six days ago," he said of his slow roll-up to the event.


Watch Robert Downey Jr. at the Hollywood Premiere of 'Iron Man 3':


Incidentally, his swanky ride's license plate read, fittingly, STARK16.

When we asked RDJ his thoughts on co-star Gwyneth Paltrow being named the World's Most Beautiful Woman, he said, "I thought, 'Wow, that's good for business!'"

Now that we know a remake of his 1985 comedy classic "Weird Science" is in the works, we were curious who RDJ would want to play him. "I don't know," he told us, "I just want in!"
















Downey also took time to get a bit gushy about his latest -- and perhaps last -- turn at playing Tony Stark aka Iron Man. "When you're younger you think about what can you get out of this. And now I've gotten so much from being able to play Tony these last bunch of years. I don't really think about what else can I get," he said. "As a matter of fact, most of the stuff I have, I'm just going to start giving away."

"There was nothing but opportunity exploring this guy," Downey said of his superhero role. "I like always thinking we gotta knock this outta the park, we gotta defy expectations."

As the red carpet was winding down, the cast stood together before walking into the theater. Then, something a bit jarring happened. "There's nothing like that confetti spectacle," Downey joked as he literally spat out one of the tiny bits of paper that showered down on the "Iron Man 3" cast.

"Iron Man 3" enters theaters May 3. VIDEO