Thrustmaster/Ferrari All-In-One Steering Wheel and Pedals Is Almost Ready to Roll

The Ferrari Vibration GT Cockpit 458 Italia Edition is way out of my league. Yet here I sit, hands at the 10 and 2 positions of its 7/10ths-scale replica of the Ferrari F458's wheel and feet on the metal gas and brake pedals. I don't have a ton of experience with racing wheels, but I know enough about PC peripherals to be impressed by the high-quality feel of the rubberized grips and metal paddle shifters, and the ease of setting it up -- just unfold it, extend the metal pylon, and go.

Again, I'm not a hardcore driving guy (I can't even drive a stick), and I really have no business doing an actual review of this high-end, $300 setup. But I've been messing around with it for the past few days, and I have to say, it's been a treat to use. My only complaints thus far are that the metal column, while very solidly constructed, tends to creak a little when the turning gets vigorous, and that when used in action/driving games rather than sims (like GTA4, Sleeping Dogs, and Saints Row: The Third) I have to turn the wheel about 30 degrees before the car responds. 


Of course, it's totally not designed to be used with those games -- I just happened to be playing Sleeping Dogs at the time. When I fired up a more appropriate game, DiRT 3, the true sensitivity of the wheel became clear. I had to dial the sensitivity down a bit from the default settings just to stay on the road, but after that it was smooth, satisfying driving.

Thrustmaster says this will be ready for the public to drive in October. If you guys have any questions about what it's like, hit me up in the comments and I'll do my best. Also, your best Thrustmaster-based sexual innuendo.