Q-and-A: Eyewitness to Japan's Earthquake

Japan has always been one of the safer countries to visit for a variety of reasons, but the devastation caused by the earthquake and tsunami suggests that there are always serious risks. My 18-year-old son is going off to college next year, majoring in Japanese language and culture. As a part of those studies he hopes to study abroad in Japan, and possibly pursue an advanced degree from a Japanese University. As a parent, having my child that far away naturally worries me.
Shortly after the 8.9-magnitude earthquake in Japan, I had the opportunity to discuss the situation with Patrick Clarke, a 27-year-old native of Denver who spent two years teaching English in Japan and is now pursuing his master's degree in global studies at Sophia University in Tokyo. In all, he has spent the last three years living in Japan and was in Tokyo when the devastating earthquake occurred on Friday.

Where were you when the main earthquake occurred and what was your reaction?
When the earthquake struck I was on the balcony of my second floor apartment in Nakano (west Tokyo) hanging laundry on a clothes line. I noticed a subtle shake and after a few seconds thought to myself, "This is just like other small quakes I've felt in Japan over the past three years," but the shaking continued for maybe 10 or 15 seconds and suddenly began to grow stronger. The power lines that crisscross the skyline over the city streets were swaying and jiggling. My mindset shifted and I walked across the apartment to the door-jam near the entrance.
I braced myself and could feel the wooden building shifting back and forth under my feet. As the quake continued to grow stronger and enter its second minute I could hear neighbors calling out to one another and objects began to fall off shelves onto the floor. Most of my furniture was creeping away from the walls and a large glass bowl shattered in the middle of my room. I have felt several large earthquakes in California when I was younger (Big Bear/Landers in 1992 and Northridge earthquake in 1994), and this is the first time I felt like I could be seriously hurt or killed and fear overtook me completely.
I thought the building was going to collapse. It`s fairly old for a building in Tokyo and made of wood, while most modern apartments are steel and concrete. The shaking finally receded after nearly two minutes and I let out a deep breath. I began to clean up the broken glass when maybe five minutes later an aftershock sent me scrambling back to the door jam. It didn`t last long, but there wasn't more than a two-minute break between subsequent aftershocks. After 20 minutes following the initial quake another large, sustained quake lasting maybe thirty seconds struck, and this time I went outside to record the scene.
Most people in my neighborhood were standing outside or in their entryways watching light posts and power lines wobble. Nothing seemed to be falling outside, but I could hear objects in people`s apartments hitting the floor. After the second large quake ended, most people seemed to think that the worst was over. All things considered nothing in my neighborhood was badly damaged. A construction project on a neighboring lot went back to work right after the second large quake and people seemed unphased by it all.
I tried contacting my girlfriend, who also lives in Tokyo, and some friends, but the phones were dead so I used Facebook to communicate. Everyone was worried and trying to get a grasp of the situation through the Internet. I didn't feel comfortable staying in my apartment so I got a backpack together and rode by bike through the city around 6 p.m.
The trains were stopped and traffic was at a standstill. The sidewalks were crowded with people walking home from work. I rode from the west side through the middle of Tokyo and down to the southern end near Tokyo Bay for an hour and the entire time a constant flow of people and cars shifted through the city streets. It seemed endless and although the day had been harrowing most people seemed in good spirits and making an effort to enjoy the change in commute.
How are the Japanese people reacting to the disaster emotionally?
The Japanese people seem calm in Tokyo and are buying food and water in preparation if the situation worsens. There have been rumors and warnings of power cuts tonight (Saturday) or in the coming days. People have been told to buy lanterns and lights and supplies. However, in Tokyo most people will be returning to work on Monday, at least in a limited capacity.
The Japanese have a strong sense of solidarity and although they are concerned and want to help those more severely affected, they also want to return to a sense of normalcy after a very scary day.
What dangers still remain? Are there ongoing warnings being issued?
There are still aftershocks, (just now, at 10:16 p.m., Saturday) a 5.0 magnitude earthquake struck in Fukushima, and I immediately received a warning on my cell phone. There are numerous warnings depending on the area you live in. Tokyo is on alert, but further northeast there is concern of tsunamis and two evacuations have been issued for areas within 10 km of two nuclear power plants in Fukushima.
How have you been personally affected by the earthquake and tsunami?
My friends and girlfriend and their relatives are luckily all safe and accounted for. I have three weeks before my school semester starts and am looking into volunteering for the relief effort. I am not sure about the possibilities but would like to help in any way possible. I am fortunate to say that aside from the shock and inconveniences the earthquake has not affected me greatly.
Are you and those around you concerned about the damaged nuclear plants?
The damaged nuclear plants are definitely a concern, although their threat is still somewhat unclear. They are hundreds of miles away so the threat to Tokyo is minimal. I am watching the news and the explosion witnessed today appears to have involved nuclear material or contained radioactive matter, which hadn't been confirmed earlier. Three workers were injured and exposed to radiation according to Japanese news broadcaster Nihon Television.
The threat is worrying but the details are vague. Again, the threat to Tokyo is not the concern. However, it is dominating the coverage on television and is definitely the biggest concern for the people of Fukushima and the media.
Do you plan to return to the U.S. as a result of this catastrophe?
I don't plan to return as of now. I don`t believe the situation will deteriorate to the point where I cannot carry on in Japan. Life in Tokyo seems like it will continue to remain relatively stable. Skype and other Internet tools have kept me connected with my family and I don`t feel distant from them. The thought of leaving hasn't really crossed my mind at this point.
The news in the U.S. is showing at least one airport being completely inundated. What is the state of international travel from Japan? Could you get back to the US now, if you wanted to?
The damaged airport was in Sendai. The other airports are offering limited flights, and if I wanted to, I could probably pay a lot of money to get on a flight connecting to an airport that would have flights to America. Travel is more limited the further north you are, but leaving the country from central and western Japan would not be impossible.
Has the earthquake changed your perspective on living abroad?
This event hasn't changed my views on living abroad. These catastrophes can happen anywhere at any time. Being in a foreign country can complicate issues but I have a strong support network and have not felt uncomfortable aside from the initial shock. LINK