Why Joss Whedon says he's afraid to continue the Firefly universe


Geek god Joss Whedon has wowed us for decades with iconic TV series such as BuffyAngel, and Firefly and now with last year's huge summer hit movie, Marvel’s The Avengers.
Of all those series, Firefly may be the one that has achieved the biggest cult status among fans. (Okay, so have Buffy and, by extension, Angel.) However, the fact that the sci-fi series was culled before its time makes it one the fans are desperate to see again -- though at least we got Serenity,right?

In an interview with  Coming Soon, Whedon discussed continuing with the Firefly universe:
"Right now I'm happy to say everybody is working doing good jobs. There's a real fear of 'The Monkey's Paw,' you know? You bring it back to life and it isn't the same. Even if it's GREAT and it isn't the same. I'm dying to get on a ship with those guys again, but I'm also doing yet another goddamn huge ensemble movie ['The Avengers 2']. Why can't I do a movie about just one guy? So right now I can't even access that part of my brain. If all the planets align that would be great, but I'm not going to do what I did the first time and move heaven and earth to make it happen."
Do you agree with Whedon? Are there dangers and pitfalls in bringing such a beloved cult show back and dabbling once more in its complex universe? Do you also agree that even though it could turn out great, there are the inherent risks that it might not be "the same"?
(via Comingsoon)